Zuppa Toscana

So I know this type of blog has been done not long ago by another poster, but I thought I'd post my version since this is a staple in my home. This is my version of Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! (Note: I think by now you should know that whenever I list an ingredient that it is organic ((like the onions and what not)) so I'm going to stop writing "organic" and "all natural" next to every single thing, I think youre smart enough to get the point!)

1 lb of ground turkey
1 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 - 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp celery salt
1 large or 2 small onions, minced
5 cloves of garlic, minced
4 large potatoes (I used russet), diced with skin on
4 pieces of organic bacon**
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
6 cups of chicken broth
2 - 3 cups of milk
2 cups of water
1 Bunch of Kale

In a pan fry up the bacon and set to drain on a towel
While the pan is hot add the diced garlic and onion and saute
Meanwhile, add water and chicken broth to a stock pot and bring to a boil
Add the onion/garlic mix to the pot, then add the diced potatoes and let the potatoes cook
Add the ground turkey, fennel, italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and celery salt to the hot pan that the onions were in and brown
Once meat is cooked through, add to the stock pot
Pat the bacon completely dry (we don't want any extra fat/grease!!)
Chop into little bits and add to the soup
Chop up the kale (the more the better! I used the whole thing because I LOVE kale and its so good for you!)
Add the kale to stock pot and let it cook for about 15 - 20 minutes
Add the milk to the mix - your soup should be an off whiteish/pale yellow color, if it seems like its too yellow, add more milk!
Season with salt and pepper to taste - once you get the right amount of salt the soup really reaches its full potential!

**About the bacon: I have, thus far, not been able to locate any all natural/organic turkey bacon in my area. If you can, absolutely use it. So instead I opted for pork bacon, but it is all natural and without any preservatives, nitrites, or nitrates. The chemicals will do me far more harm than the organic pork will. If you have neither turkey nor pork bacon offered organically, by all means use the turkey bacon, as it is better for you in terms of health. Or you may of course omit it all together, the choice is yours :)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! I love kale in soup so I am going to try it out. Thanks for sharing, cant wait to check out more of your recipes!

Post a Comment