A wholesome feast

Tonight I made one of my favorite meals - My traditional Roasted chicken meal! I was inspired to make it when I read Dana's recipe for stuffing. And I was so proud of myself, it's all natural, whole, and organic. Every meal I complete in this fashion gives me the courage to continue doing so. Anyway here's the recipe! =)

Roasted Chicken
1 whole organic chicken
2 - 3 tablespoons organic butter (Note: I know what people say, but I am not convinced you get nearly the same taste without buttering the skin. Still, you can use grape seed or coconut oil if you wish)
Thyme
Poultry seasoning
Black pepper
Kosher salt

Pat the chicken dry and rub with butter
Sprinkle poultry seasoning on the chicken
Sprinkle thyme
Season with salt and pepper
Roast at 350 for about an hour or until it reaches an internal temperature of 160/165 - keep an eye on it
Remove chicken from oven and cover with aluminum foil - let rest until temperature reaches 170
Carve and serve!

Note: I make mine in a cast iron skillet and once I remove the chicken I use the skillet to make my chicken gravy: Add whole wheat flour to the drippings, a little salt and pepper if necessary, and then whisk in chicken broth until the gravy reaches your desired consistency.



Whole Wheat Stuffing
8 - 10 pieces of whole wheat bread
1 - 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
Poultry seasoning
Thyme
Kosher salt
Black pepper 
1 onion
2 - 3 celery stalks
3 garlic cloves
Chicken broth

 

Cut up wheat bread into cubes and spread out evenly on a cookie sheet
lightly drizzle with grape seed oil
Sprinkle with seasonings and salt and pepper
Stick in the oven (350) until bread is "crusty" and baked through
In a skillet saute onion, celery, and garlic
Add enough chicken broth to cover and let simmer
Add the bread cubes to the skillet and add about 1 cup of chicken broth
Once mixed in, pour stuffing into an oven safe pan
Stick in oven for about 10 - 15 minutes or until tops are crunchy (if you prefer soft stuffing, omit this step)




0 comments:

Post a Comment