Breakfast Buttermilk Biscuits

Yesterday Marcus took me on a trip out to Amish Country in New York. We stopped at a lot of cute shops, had a delicious lunch at Essenhaus, an Amish Restaurant, and stopped at an Amish Country store. This place was pretty neat in that they sold a lot of things you might find in stores in bulk. Things like popcorn seeds, all the flavoring powders you could dream of, bulk cereal marshmallows and a few other things. While it was cool to walk around in, I didn't see much that I would buy - as hardly anything was organic. However, Marcus did find his long sought after Sorghum Molasses and requested biscuits for breakfast this morning. I had made buttermilk biscuits a hundred times before but not since I changed my lifestyle - so it was a challenge. And let me say, they turned out awesome! On my first try! I thought you all might enjoy this one too, so here ya go =)


Buttermilk Biscuits
2 Cups of Flour (Note: For my baking I have started using Hodgson Mill's all natural 50/50 flour as I find I like the lighter flavor in my baked goods)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp kosher salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 stick of cold organic butter
1/2 tsp grape seed oil for oiling your pan

Pre-heat oven to 450
Mix all the dry ingredients together
Cut the butter into small pieces and add to dry mix - mix butter in until you reach a meal like consistency (if you have a food processor, a few pulses should do it)
Add the buttermilk until just mixed (do not overmix! if you do your biscuits will not be as fluffy!)
Once combined roll out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and flatten to about 1/2 an inch thick
Cut the biscuits into circles. I used the open side of a glass (upside down). Once I cut out all the biscuits I combined the remainder of the dough and continued to do that until I only had enough for one more biscuit so I had shaped it
Lay biscuits down in your lightly oiled pan so that they are touching - For this part I recommend using a cake/pie pan or something with high walls, this makes the biscuits rise more
Bake for 12 minutes - try not to bake much less than this as the wheat flour adds a density that is offset but a little longer baking time
Once done remove from pan so the bottoms don't continue to bake - Marcus topped his with the Sorghum Molasses, I opted for Honey (yum!) but you can use anything you'd like.
Enjoy!

1 comments:

danaboheen said...

Making these today! I have some soured milk that I want to use in baking- this recipe is perfect. Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment