Bedside blogging, Day 4

Day 4 in the hospital is just beginning, and depending on the outcome of today's events, I might be writing another update - but we'll see. I finished the test for pre-eclampsia and was told scoring anything above a 300 was officially diagnostic; my score was 285. However, that was MUCH higher than the first time I took the test, so my doctor is convinced that it is only a matter of days before it turns into full blown pre-e. My blood pressure is still high, but my nurses discovered if they had me lay down for 15 minutes before they took it, that it would lower back into the 125/80 range. Until last night, now it seems even while I'm laying down it's staying in the 145/95 range, so it's slowly going up again. On Wednesday I had an ultrasound to check on the girls. The good news was they didn't see any reversal diastolic flow in Evie's umbilical artery this time, so at least that condition isn't getting worse. However, the girls only grew 50g each, which is not very much at all. So not the best ultrasound we could have hoped for, but not the worst. I had my daily NST yesterday which went well for the most part, the girls' hearts looked good - however there were one or two times when Evie's heart showed signs of distress. They were very small and quick, so it's not something the doctors were overly concerned about.
This morning my personal OB came in to see me (have I mentioned how much I love her?) so that we could discuss all of these things and I asked her how long she thought we had, realistically. She told me she thought maybe another week or so, based on the way it appears my pre-eclampsia is developing. Which led to another conversation. She said when the babies are 25 weeks, every day is crucial, even when you're 28 weeks, things can improve vastly in a week. However, at 30 weeks, she said - things really need a week or two to change dramatically (as far as growth and development) - and we probably don't have that much time. Given that information coupled with the apparently decreasing state of Evie's condition, it's starting to look like the risks are outweighing the benefits of keeping the girls in. I will be meeting with another high risk doctor today, but there is a very good chance I will be induced by the end of the weekend. I'll update when I know more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment